Thursday, July 24, 2014

Hooray Spring Break

So no doubt as you look at tweets and Facebook posts you're fellow MAT are rejoicing over during their spring break as you work on anguish in Sweden, the anticipation of your break is slowly starting to grow. At this point you have started to consider all the possibilities that await your easy travel desires. France! Germany! England! Spain! Romani....well maybe some are more attractive than others. I decided to go by myself to visit Stockholm and Copenhagen during my break so I cannot testify for the other places. I'm sure they are all amazing (even Romania) but of course you will have a limited time so my advice is to do your research and plan carefully. Who knows if you will have another oppertunity to travel abroad?

So Stockholm is first. Stockholm is a very beautiful city. One night stroll around the palace will attest to that. It is full of history and measums. The city itself is fairly easy to navigate and is very walkable. When I was there I visited the Vassa which was a huge ship that sunk in the harbor that was eventually brought to the surface and reconstructed. It's worth a visit with a student discount. The ship is very impressive and the measeum gives enough facts that it is interesting, but not so many that it becomes boring. I also visited the alochol and spirits measeum, which was very cool. It had a gallery of Absolute paintings done by famous artists next to album covers that they created. I really don't see anyway you can go wrong doing things in Stockholm as the city is beautiful, but try to walk around the old town. The only negative is how expensive Stockholm is compared to other cities, but since you will already have experienced that in Sweden, it won't be as big of a shock.




Now on to Copenhagen. I'll go ahead a spoil the ending. I've traveled throughout most of the United States and now I can say I've visited Sweden. Honestly Copenhagen is the most amazing city I have ever had the pleasure of visiting. It's worth the journey. I did a walking tour and visited several of the signseeing marks. This isn't what makes Copenhagen special. It's the people. As our tour guide said, Danes are known for being the happiest people on earth, and walking the streets...it just feels different. I can't put it into words, the only advice is to go visit, grab a carlsburg in a local pub and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment